Saturday, December 6, 2008

'Thanks' still on my mind

Although the date of Thanksgiving, the annual celebration, the feasting day, has passed us by, I still have the feeling of being thankful for what we have.

As Thanksgiving approached, I kept thinking that I should share with you and post here what I am so very thankful for. I kept coming up with the usual - good health, family, friends, the freedoms that come with being an American & living in the USA. Thanks to our military and armed forces for serving to keep us free. And thanks for my loving husband.

Thanksgiving is the day that commemorates the Pilgrims gratitude for their harvest and for survival in the new world. Our country seems to be facing comparatively tough times of its own right now. The economy specifically. This affects not only us retirees, but everyone. Everyone everywhere. I have to think that we will come out of these down times and be better for it. If I didn't think that I might be searching the jobs ads. My mom says we are faced with a challenge to do with less and find ways to save. My sister (to paraphrase) says it will bring us back to basics, bring us to understand what is important, bring us to live within our means. It's also a time when we, the citizens, are wanting to be a part of our future, our destiny, and our purpose. I feel more people are aware and involved with their communities, and this country, than ever. At least in my adulthood.

We see the news and know that many are facing tough times. At times I feel somewhat guilty for the 'good' that Rick and I have. (But then I remember our conservative spending habits, our savings plan, and our hard work to get where we are.) Our own family members are dealing with poor health, loss of loved ones, slow downs at work, but we're getting through it all with the belief and trust that it will get better. People are out of work and I've heard of retirees returning to work to get by. Rick and I both realize that we are living a good life and we don't take it for granted. We are thankful for our health, what we've done and the country we live in. I hope that you have reasons to be thankful, even in these tough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.