Monday, December 22, 2008

No Bird Has Been Known to Lay a Square Egg

What you say, "no square eggs?" I believe I was in 1st grade (my Mom would know for sure) when I wrote my first school report. Although it was only one sentence long, it was profound. And very wise for a first grader I thought at the time and still think it. I even drew a picture to go with the one-sentence report.

No bird has been known to lay a square egg.

To this day, my Mom still teases me about that report. She can get herself laughing so hard, you can't help but laugh along with her. I bet she's laughing right now reading these profound words again.

This all came back to me when we were on the Oregon coast. At the Yaquina Lighthouse, there was an educational display on the Common Murres that nest on the ocean cliffs and they lay very pointed eggs. No, not square. You probably thought I'd say square. This odd, very pointed shape is to keep the eggs from rolling off the steep cliff edges. If the egg rolls, it pivots around and does not roll away. These birds have markings that resemble a penguin and there were thousands of Common Murres on the rocks near Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Newport, Oregon.




Bet my Mom never thought she'd see my "No Square Egg" report published on the Internet. When you blog you can do just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.