Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Finally understanding retirement

We are in our 12th month of retirement and I think this week it has finally occurred to me. This is what retirement is truly about. It came with a weeklong cold, the kind of cold I get about every 5 years. I remember, in the past, going to work feeling rotten with a head cold. That twilight zone, everything in slow motion, once removed feeling, but still going to work. Because I could sequester myself in my office and pretend not to hear everyone question why I came in - to get them sick. Feeling much worst by the end of the day, driving an hour and a half to get home, all the time dreading getting up the next morning to do it all again.

Being able to do nothing, except rest and drink hot tea, has made me realize retirement. Being able to stay home. I not happy about cancelling a trip to CA to see family, but extremely relieved at the same time. My sleep schedule has changed with the onset of the 5-year-cold and being able to get the 8 hours sleep I've grown accustomed to is beyond words. I don't know how Rick can sleep through my constant coughing from 10 PM to 1 AM, but he does. Although we have a second bed, neither of us moves out of the warmth.

I've had the twilight zone, head-in-cement feeling, but I'm able to sit here, relaxed, looking out our big windows, in my favorite robe with the music down low. (I've found I like XM radio on DirecTV channel 818 - the Pulse.) I don't feel I have to go to the stitchery club meeting or anywhere, although I miss playing pickle ball every morning. I don't feel stressed about doing nothing. I'm thinking this is truly how retirement is supposed to be. Relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.