Sunday, July 12, 2009

More on the underwater Olympus 1050 camera

I love having a camera that's small enough to carry in my pocket and that I'm not afraid of dunking in the river! Last year our friends Dan and Jerry Short of Idaho showed me their camera and the underwater video of fish they took. Steve also has a similar camera that he carries on the river and I just had to have one. I was afraid I (or someone) would drop the Sony or Nikon in the water and that would be the end of that! Many times I'd not be able to retrieve it out of the backpack on shore and we'd miss taking the photo. So, when my birthday got near, we made the purchase at Costco and said it was this year's bday gift to me.

Now if I could only get the fish to slow down and pose. They are so anxious to get away and back to the depths of the river.


The Olympus camera is a little slower than what we are used to with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200. It takes it a few seconds to start up and to recover between shots. However, the fact that it is able to take underwater still shots and underwater video out-weighs the slowness. We just have to realize that the fish are quicker than the camera and have the camera ready before we start to handle the fish. We could try putting it on burst mode and take multiple shots at once. We've missed a couple of still shots because the fish are quicker, but all in all we love the waterproof feature of the little camera. And it is little. It could be a slight problem handling it if you have larger hands. I've thought about getting a floating strap for it in case I drop it. The photo quality is good at 10.1 megapixels. I used it on July 4th after dark to take the fireworks exploding in air. I take it everytime we go out on the river and keep it handy in my shirt pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.