Monday, July 27, 2009

High water? Going higher?

The fishing has been fairly good, probably better out on the lake though. But then, I can't wade the lake like I can the river. And we don't have a boat now. So we happily walk down to the river most days.

A few days ago I spotted a couple fish rising on the far side (why is always that way?), barely disturbing the water, sipping dry flies off the surface. Although the river was 'only' at 600 cfs or so, I made it fine. My mind wasn't on the river currents or falling in, it was on keeping track of the fish I'd seen. Now that its even higher, about 800 cfs, I land the fish on the far bank in about 3 feet of calm water, rather than try to get back to the 'home' bank.


It's not easy walking the hooked fish back to the 'home' bank. What's funny is that I usually walk backwards when I do, feeling my way with my heels. Once I was over there on the far side for a while and I'd caught a couple fish, I started wondered how I was going to get back. I daydreamed and wondered if a drift boat floating by might let me hang on as we made our way across the river. The current is very strong and about waist-high for me. It seems you can feel the river go higher as you're standing there fishing. I wasn't worried because Rick came out to fish the far bank near me and we made it back together, arm in arm, without a problem.




I've asked Rick to work with me to get some better underwater video in the clear, calmer water. We'll share it when we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.