Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why Blog? part 1

I started this blog about 2 years ago when we were only thinking of retirement. I created the first posting in October 2007, but didn't do much with it. I thought a blog would be an easy way to share our travel adventures with family and maybe friends. Cell phones are good, but we've got a lot of family. And we can share photos and videos with a blog. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Another reason for this blog was so that I'd remember where we'd been and what we'd thought about it. Back in 1985 when we retired the first time, we went everywhere, and we went quickly. We moved around so much and visited so many places that I don't remember it all. Back then I kept a written journal and the daily entries quickly started sounding the same. "Visited nice campground, met nice people, saw the sights." I figured this blog-thing would be a good way to keep a record for ourselves of our trips.

Setting up a blog on Google is an easy process. 1-2-3 and it's done. Last spring while we waited at Guaranty RV Service Center in Junction City, Oregon for our motorhome I showed a few people how to create a blog. I jokingly said it's a class called "The blog you never knew you needed." It can be a lot of work and it can be a lot of fun. Some people update their blog everyday, some once a week, some even less often. Some are photographers sharing their art, some are gardeners and cooks, some are moms with young children sharing stories and advice. Some are retirees traveling in their RV's. I've even found a few fly fisher people sharing their fishing tales.

There are many reasons to blog. Some bloggers want to share their adventures, tell their story, voice their opinions, and check off their accomplishments. Some make money by selling their wares on-line and attract many visitors and receive lots of comments. Many have lots of interaction on their blogs with their "followers" and develop friendships. Some bloggers put ads on their sites and get some type of payment from the ad companies based upon clicks or visitors. I don't get too many visitors nor do I get many comments, which is OK with us. Every so often another blogger mentions my blog on their blog and I should do more of the same. I should reciprocate, especially when I find their blog informative. It's nice when someone thinks our blog is interesting.

I know there are many who know more about blogging choices than I do. Perhaps some of you who are reading have a blog or have thought about starting a blog. I'm not going to do a lot of research on blogging facts, something you can look up yourself if you're interested in stats or numbers. Instead, as with all my posts, I'm just sharing my thoughts and experiences. I think I'll post again on this subject because I get lots of questions about blogging. I have more to say and will try to answer some of the questions I get asked about blogging. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.