Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ryan Reichle = A River Angel

Ryan Reichle was a river angel. One of those people who enjoyed the river and wanted others to feel the joy of being on the river. I can’t say I knew Ryan really well – other than running into him at the fly shop, we didn’t hang out together off the river. But we saw each other on the river on a regular basis and he was always friendly, helpful, and polite.

It was probably 2004 the first time we met Ryan, on the river of course. I was bringing in a big fish, wondering if I’d land it, hoping I’d land it, when this fishing guide in a big white cowboy hat leaves his clients and walks towards me with his big boat net. He asked if he could net my fish for me. Of course! Please! And with that, Ryan netted my fish and we released it and became river-side friends. I don’t believe he offered to net the fish just because I was a woman either. When you saw Ryan with his clients you could see that he was doing his best to ensure they caught fish and had fun.

We looked forward to talking with Ryan. He willingly shared his knowledge of fly fishing and traded flies with us. He didn’t play the “secret fly game” that some guys do. He let me play fetch with his dog and showed off Henry’s doggie tricks and good manners. He loved both of his dogs. The last time we saw Ryan was September of last year when the river flow was shut off. Yes, he was fishing on his day off with his 2 dogs and a friend. Knowing it was his day off, we didn’t want to intrude on his peace, but I did take a couple photos of him. I thought it was special that he would be on the river fishing with his dogs nearby, being where he worked and earned his living, but doing what he wanted to do on his day off. I think if you are a guide and you also love to fish, you will know what I’m trying to say.

We’ve been looking for Ryan since May 16, wondering if the next boat floating downstream would be the Keffler with a black and white dog sitting proudly in his spot. When we saw someone on the oars wearing a big straw cowboy hat we hoped it would be Ryan so we could find out about his winter adventures. But we hadn’t seen him and now we know we won’t. His passing has been on my mind all week and I’m still trying to find the words of how I feel.

How confused and sad I am. I cannot begin to understand why. I don’t understand the depth or darkness of it. I don’t know why and never will. I just know Ryan Reichle will be missed by many.

1 comment:

  1. A very moving blog entry...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.