Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parking the rig

You know by now that I love to drive the motorhome. Rick is fantastic with maps, the GPS, and navigating and I love to drive so that makes for a good team. When I pulled into the Thousand Trails at Palm Springs, there were, as usual, a few campers who gave me the long stare that I've learned to smile at. And I usually wave. It's mostly the men campers who look surprised to see a woman driving a motorhome, and this time it was no different. Rick and I both get a kick out of it. This TT park is really tight quarters with all the date palm trees lining the skinny streets and with palm trees situated in all the wrong places within each campsite. It was intimidating when I first visited there, but now it's no big deal. When we arrive we pull to a small parking area and unhook the toad, then drive the car through the resort to pick out a campsite. When I drove the motorhome to the campsite I noticed a guy get on his bike and follow me to the site. I also noticed a couple other curious on-lookers, but un-intimidated by the trees or the curious, I backed the motorhome into the site on the first try. A few minutes later I saw a guy back his truck into a palm tree while parking his 5th wheel trailer. A little while later we watched someone else do a 10-point maneuver to get their motorhome parked. I actually enjoy the challenge of parking and as long as Rick is guiding me, I haven't had a problem so far.

We spent a couple nights at the Thousand Trails Palm Springs park and had fun while there. Rick likes to get the local newspaper delivered to the steps of the motorhome and we like to plan our day over morning coffee. Most mornings Rick and I played a few games of pickle ball and made new friends. In the afternoons we did some shopping and visited family.

We're close enough to Rick's sister and brother-in-law to be able to drive over and spend time with them and share a few meals. They are always gracious hosts and we always enjoy visiting with them.

After a few days at the TT park we moved to the FMCA Western Area rally in Indio. We had friends, Tom & Jo, staying in their motorhome at another campground and we planned to go to the rally with them. We called them to see if they were ready to head over to the rally and they gave us a 20 minute head start. They were coming from one direction and we were coming from the other. It was amazing when we got to the intersection to turn toward the rally entrance and they were at the intersection also. We turned left, they turned right and they followed us into the staging area. It was amazing that we each traveled across town and met up at the same time. After a short time we were guided to our camping/parking places and wouldn't you know it! We have some of the best parking of all the attendees! We are in row 1, space 1 and our friends are facing us.

So far the rally is lots of fun and I have some photos to share with you on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.