Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's a Zoo in our Backyard

In our small desert RV community it's common to see coyotes, roadrunners, quail, rabbits, and even a javelina once in a great while.







When we returned home a couple weeks ago we were told bobcats had set up residency in our park. Bobcats! How cool is that?!?! Cool, unless you have a small dog or cat I guess. Anyway, some people have snapped photos of the bobcats, seeing 3 together at one time. Ever since we've been home, and we learned they were here, I've wanted to see one something terrible! Everyday I've said to Rick "Wish I could see the bobcats."

Some of the residents of our park have complained that there are too many rabbits and they eat the flowers they plant. And the shrubs. And the cactus. The rabbits eat almost everything. Well, the resort personnel have asked the residents to not bother the coyotes or bobcats because they are starting to get the rabbit population under control. That's one way to deal with the cute pests!

This evening Rick's parents were having dinner at our place and Rick's dad says "Hey, there's a bobcat out front." What!! I couldn't believe it! I only caught a quick glimpse of it, but I was hoping for more. I saw it come into our front yard, heading for the backyard and I ran to get my camera. I got a quick shot of it passing through our side yard and I ran to the bedroom. Rick and his parents went into the living room to watch it. The bobcat was right below the bedroom window! Standing right below me! I could tell it was getting ready to jump the 6' wall and I snapped another quick shot as it lept to the top of the wall. I thought it was going over, but it was my luck that it sat on the wall for a minute and I was able to get a few more shots. I was about 4 feet from it, inside the house.

As I watched in amazement I kept thinking, "What a beautiful wild animal!" The bobcat sat on the wall, surveying the yards on the other side, looking for movement in the bushes perhaps. I like to think that it knew I was inside, watching, fascinated, marveling, getting the photos I wanted so badly, before it jumped over and trotted after it's rabbit dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Truly amazing! Now how did you get those pictures to view all in sequence???
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures - What kind of camera do you have your pictures are always so clear/sharp. You have a wonderful blog and I have enjoyed following/hearing about your travels. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Polly! Thanks for the comment. To answer your question about the photos in sequence, I took the photos in that order, reduced the file size on each so I could upload to PhotoBucket, uploaded the photos to PhotoBucket, created a slideshow, and embedded the slideshow in our blog posting. When I selected the photos to create the slideshow I chose the order of the photos. It does take some time and I like to have the photos just so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roberta, Thank you for the comment and the compliment. Welcome to our blog! I love to take photos! My first digital camera was a Minolta DiMage F200, 4.0 MP and I loved it! My second digital was a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200, 7.2 MP. I love it also, but it developed internal dirt spots that show on some photos. My current camera is a Nikon CoolPix P-80, 10.1 MP with an 18x zoom. I wanted it for the zoom capabilities, but I think it performs well in all areas. I especially like to take close-ups.

    So glad you enjoy our blog. I enjoy writing my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.