Friday, August 22, 2008

Is this the same river we've been fishing?

Well, we wanted to stay here long enough to see the different phases of the river and we're seeing some drastic changes. I hardly recognize this river as being the same river from June 12th. It's not bad, just different now. Based on the last few days I think it's even better. Thank goodness Rick is a good fly tyer and likes to tie flies. Everyday he ties the latest 'fly of the day'.

The months of June and July found us fishing with PMDs, size 20 pheasant tail and WD40 type nymphs, along with some caddis. Fishing in June and July had been fairly predictable, and the fish plentiful. (Disclaimer: Our local fishing friends remind us that this is a tough fishery, and yes, we've often seen many fishermen leave this river without a single fish.)

The first week in August brought a change in temperatures and fishing. The river flow had been at a consistent 800+ cfs for a couple weeks, but for the past few weeks 'they've' been reducing the flow. We're now at 470 cfs. The water temperature has also gotten warmer. All this combined had brought a slow down in fishing as we had known it. The first 2 weeks of August had us thinking we should look for other streams to fish. (I was thinking that, not sure Rick was.)

HOWEVER! It's August 20th and the past few days have been fantastic fishing! Almost as good as June and July. Actually, as good but different. It's hard to explain, but of course I'll try. We had started to see consistently rising trout in the afternoons. The afternoons now sometimes result in a thunderstorm with wind and a little rain. As I've said, the wind can put a crimp in your casting and a knot in your fly line. The wind makes it difficult to place your fly where you want it. So we've been hitting the river a little earlier. For the past few days we've been on the river at 10:00 (yes, that's early!) and we've been rewarded by rising trout in select places. Each day has been better than the previous day, with numerous rising fish all over the river. Of course the lower water levels makes it easy for me to walk the river and reach those feeding trout.

This morning it was so absolutely beautiful when we arrived at "Mickey's Corner", with no wind and a mirror finish on the water. It was so smooth I could see every dimple on the water from the noses coming up to slurp the bugs. It reminded me of a frozen ice skating rink, only this was moving water. Just amazing and so beautiful!

For the past few weeks I've been fishing with dry flies only. We've both been using dries and fishing to rising fish. Because we're prepared to walk a little further to find fish, we've not taken the big net nor the backpack, and so for a couple days, no camera. We don't want to leave the backpack on the home bank and then get out of eye-sight of it. (I'm a little less trusting since having the break-in.) And wouldn't you know that the days we don't take a camera we catch some fabulous fish! We started taking the smaller camera in Rick's fishing pack, but when we are both in the middle of the river, both catching fish, who wants to stop for a photo? I think this is a good reason for me to get an even smaller, water-proof, digital camera. I've got my eye on one.

We've found a favorite spot on the river where we can fish multiple conditions - in a smooth current where fish are rising, against the bank where the current brings bugs to fish holding against the bank, and under some grasses that have accumulated to form a layer of protection for fish hanging under. I was casting to a fish out in the middle and the currents quickly take my slack line downriver, forming a huge U curve of line, the opposite of a 'tight line'. I see the fish inhale my fly and try to set the hook, and I hear the long slurping, sloshing sound of the line as I try to lift the line off the water and set the hook. I think "too much slack!" I'm lucky the fish inhaled the fly because I landed a 22" brown trout! Another fish was consistently rising close to the bank (my favorite) and I put my fly into his food path. He took the fly, I set the hook and this brown trout came out of the water about 4 feet in the air and travelled about 4 feet - in the air! Brown trout don't usually jump out of the water like rainbows do and he was so quick! I landed it and it measured about 18". These August fish have been so healthy and quick! All our fish lately have been at least 18" and just perfect.

I think I usually hook brown trout when I use dry flies, but this past week I've caught more rainbows than usual. Rainbow trout seem to run and fight more, often jumping out of the water. My larger fish have been brown trout, but I love the thrill of hooking a feisty 18"+ rainbow. And to think last week I was wondering if the "good" fishing was over. I think we'll be here for a few more weeks. I can't think of leaving yet.

2 comments:

  1. Since it's getting close to the end of the season, are you starting to fry up those bigger fish for some good eating???
    Make my mouth water just thinking about fresh trout with lemon and butter!
    Nice picture of you and the dog, Rick. Sure you don't want a trailer lap dog???
    Pols

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not kept any fish from the Beaverhead, nor do most people. I think this summer I've only seen one person take one fish. I know I don't see it all though. The fishing regulations are pretty tight here and if someone likes to keep fish they usually go somewhere else. The game warden is always looking out for those who don't obey the rules and regulations. Now, what's for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.