Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Heard on the river

When it's quiet on the river the voices carry a long distance. If I'm not standing in the riffles (very noisy), I can hear other fisherpeople talking about the flies they're using or the fish they hooked. Some commonly heard cliches -with lots of enthusiasm-

That was a freight train!
Fish on! (fish-shon!) (for Sean)
Hook up!
That was a pig! (That was a hog!)
That was a horse!
That fish was HOT!
Rip them lips!
Did you see THAT?!?!
Set! Set! Set!
It spooled me!
It was sooo big, it broke me off!
I tattooed that one!
It jumped three times! (Do fish jump?)
It took me into my backing!
On this river, just hooking one is good.
LDR - Long Distance Release

(and my favs)
She has another one!
We'll just watch her catch fish.
What are you using?
I remember you. You're that woman who catches lots of fish.
You're back. You tore 'em up last year!

Do you have any favorite fishing phrases that you would like to add? Send me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.