Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Change of the Seasons?

I wrote this today after coming in from a beautiful day on the river, but a tough day of fishing. After writing I made dinner and we talked about our time here so far and what it might be like in the coming weeks. We both hope for days filled with fish, but we both agree that there is more to having fun than catching lots of fish. We have many activities to keep us busy, trips we could take, as well as hobbies and fun projects to work on.

It's only mid-August, but this last week we've noticed a change in the seasons. The temps are just a little cooler overnight, there's been 3 or 4 days of intermittent thunderstorms, the river flow is dropping like a rock (appropriate cliche I think), there are fewer fisherpeople on the river, the flowers and trees are looking different, we're seeing fewer guide trips float by, the insects are vastly different (we're seeing grasshoppers and fewer big mayflies), and we're not seeing the fish hang out in the river currents like we had.

In June and July we could walk the banks of the river and see fish against the bank and out in the middle. We could wade across the river and see fish darting out of our way. When we stood in the river a dozen fish would stack up in the wake behind us, feeding on the insects we churned up. Yesterday we noticed very few fish in the usual places. HOWEVER! We did find fish and we did land a number of fish, just not the usual number. I really had to look for feeding fish for my dry flies.

Just like last week, I looked long and hard for rising fish so I could throw dry flies. To me, that is the most fun and the most challenging. Although I will change to nymph fishing if I don't see rising fish. A few days ago there was a group of 4 guys fishing so Rick and I moved upstream of them. Rick fished nymphs in the middle while I waded across to the far bank. From the home bank I'd seen a rising fish so I was off on a mission to get it. I've been using a big elk hair caddis, about a size 14 or 12, what I call a stimi, to imitate spruce moths that have been hitting the water. With the 4 guys fishing nymphs downstream from me I noticed a swirl against some grasses that had piled up against the bank. I put my fly in the perfect place and hooked a big fish and brought it away from the bank and out of the weeds. It then got off the hook. Disappointed but happy, I thought that was the only fish and I'd had my chance. I looked at Rick who'd been watching and gave him the palms up signal for "oh well." I dried my fly, put more floatant on and watched the bank again. And soon I saw another swirl! I couldn't believe it! I put the fly against the bank so it floated down to the built up grasses and hooked another fish! I motioned to Rick that it looked big and he went for the camera (he's on the far bank eating his PB&J). I don't carry a net so I hoped it would cooperate. It fought for awhile and since there was a storm blowing in I wanted to bring this one to me. It was a 22" brown trout and in great condition. That's another thing - most of the fish we're now catching are in great shape. (more on the condition of the fish later)


Yesterday and today I spotted rising fish and tried to catch them even though they were on the far bank and difficult for me to reach. The river flow has dropped, but not enough so I can reach the other side with an easy cast. Rick and Steve also like to face the challenge of fish on the far bank, and they have both hooked and landed fish from the far side. I get almost as much enjoyment from them catching fish - almost.

Things have slowed down though I'm not sure how much or how long this slow down will last. Is it only slow here at "Mickey's Corner"? Are there more fish in another stretch of the river? Is it temporary? Is it because the water is dropping and the temps are changing? When the next phase of insects arrives will the fishing improve? The fish we're catching are more difficult, more work, but perhaps more appreciated. The weather and water are still very nice, and the colder mornings make us look forward to the afternoon sun all the more. We're still wet wading (shorts and sandals) and haven't put on our waders yet. There will be a day when the temps are cold enough to glove up, but not yet.

We're already planning our arrival date for next year to be a month earlier so we don't miss any of the good weather and good fishing. The good times go by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.