Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Inspiration & Coffee on a Sunday Morning

Have you ever had one of those deja vu moments? A connection to someone that is amazing? When you truly understand what makes someone tick? Or a "I can't believe it" coincidence? I just had one and it's making me smile from ear to ear. Please read on with me. I drafted the following post about 3 weeks ago, after sitting for hours reading another person's blog. Her words have stayed with me since then and I've tried to look at art and life a little differently because of her story. I've wanted to let you all know how inspired I felt and I wanted you to go read the other blog so you could feel a small part of what I felt. If you do or not is obviously up to you, but I hope you do. It might just make you smile also.

I wanted to tell you enough about her so you would take the time. I wanted to tell you her story, but OH. MY. GOD. she did just that in a post 2 days ago. It's like she and I were listening to the same song on the same CD at the same time. Thank you, Susan, for inspiring me and making me smile.
http://susanartjournal.blogspot.com/
http://www.susancarlin.com/
---------------------------------------------------
A few weeks ago I took what I thought was going to be a quick look at another blog. A blog created by Susan Carlin, daughter of Louis and Billie. Well, I sat at my laptop reading Susan's blog, all of her blog, for hours, enjoying my Sunday morning coffee and her stories from the past years. Knowing her parents, I felt like I knew Susan. I knew that she was once a chiropractor and always an artist. Reading her tales of changing careers, opening a gallery, achieving goals, being happy, and sharing with others was truly an inspiration.

After reading Susan's story and being totally motivated, I started looking at hobbies more as a creative endeavor rather than just something to make or to pass the time. Susan made me ask myself "how can I be more creative?" Instead of following a pattern could I try my own design? Could I look at something and see it in a different light? Could I take a chance with my own concepts?

Something that really struck me was the sharing that Susan does with others who want to learn. She seems to take great pleasure in helping others. And realizing, then going for, what makes her happy and fulfilled = now that is something to write about.

I think painting people as Susan does is very difficult and takes an incredible talent. I like to think Rick and I are somewhat creative. We've taken a couple oil painting classes (landscapes) and I've taught classes on tole and fabric painting. Rick likes to wood carve (carve wood) and create fishing flies. We've both made stained glass items (sun catchers to windows) and we've made jewelry. I like to work with fabrics, yarns, threads and have made quilts, clothing, and crocheted various items. Susan reinforced the fact that "art" can be just about any media, not just a watercolor painting. It's whatever you create.

For the past 7 years or so, photography has been the one "hobby" that has remained constant with me. While in high school I thought I would enjoy working with textiles or in a plant nursery growing flowers. I love to photograph flowers and plants and love their textures and patterns. I will continue with this because it brings me pleasure. A couple years ago I submitted 2 photos to website contests and won the first place prize in both cases (t-shirts, yipee!), and my photos were displayed for the month - the real prize. Another of my photos was also choosen to be included on the intranet screen saver at work and it was nice to be recognized by peers and receive their compliments. I've created photo cards and used them and given them as gifts. I've had people say they would pay me for my photos, but I usually end up giving them one rather than charge money. Just this past week someone asked me to create 24 greeting cards for them and they want to pay me for them! I have given a few card assortments as gifts to family, but being paid is a good feeling.

There are so many computer applications available to enhance or tweak digital photos. I like to explore the filters and play with the editing features, however, the true image of the flower is what I like best. I don't plan to make artistic photography a career, but it sure is nice to have a creative outlet and to be able to share my art with others.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mic, for your kind words about my art and my decision to put it in the more prominant place in my life again.
    It seems you are focussing again on your creative side, too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.