Saturday, October 25, 2008

What to say when asked...


When people ask "Aren't you glad to be out of that motorhome?", I say "No", with a little attitude, I now realize. They say "Aren't you glad to be in your own bed now?" and I reply that both beds are ours and they're both Sleep Number air beds, and both very comfortable. I guess those who ask (neighbors, friends, and family) have no idea how much fun we have in our motorhome. I guess they either don't know or they have tried it and didn't like it. But we love it!

I think they assume we are uncomfortable and cramped for space in the motorhome. I think they think we are not happy to be travelling to the cool north away from the hot Arizona summer. Yes, we miss family immensely and we're happy to be able to hug them now, but are we unhappy in the moho? No! We are very happy in the moho! We are thrilled to be able to do what we have planned to do for many years. To be able to fly fish the glorious rivers of the Pacific northwest and see the beautiful USA.

We were very comfy and cozy in our 35' Monaco Cayman. We like to say "It's big enough, but not too big to keep us out of where we want to go." Living full-time (or many months) in a (mid-size) RV is definitely not for everyone, but we love it. Honestly!


When we pulled up and parked in front of the house I didn't want to leave the moho. I sat in it, sad to be home, not wanting the recent adventure to be over. While sitting in the driver's seat I called my mom to tell her we'd arrived safely, but that I was a little bummed out and she told me that most people would be happy to be home. I agreed, and after the call I had a talk with myself and a quick attitude adjustment, and realized that I could be happy or unhappy. That I could choose my mood. I had to keep telling myself for a couple days that I should be happy and we truly are happy. Poor Rick took the brunt of my bad attitude for a day, but it is good to be home. We love our stick house and our community, and we have some fun events and outings planned close to home.

Now that we are back in the stick house for a couple days, I find myself reaching for a drawer or cupboard that was in the moho. The silverware and glasses are in a different location and the microwave controls are different. Before taking my shower last night I reached for the ceiling vent controls so I could turn on the fan and it wasn't there. I find myself smiling when I reach in the wrong direction for something. And a couple times Rick has had to ask where something is stored now.

This evening before dinner Rick and I sat out on the patio and enjoyed some fresh homemade salsa, chips, and a cold beverage. We talked about the good times we had these past 10 months and how we are looking forward to the next few months and the projects and events we have planned through the winter. The winters are fabulous in Arizona and since we don't like cold weather, this is a perfect place to be for the next few months. After a couple days of being here I can say "It's good to be home."

We have nice views out the windows here, but I can't see a river. However, I can see the golf course ponds and I've tried to practice my fly casting, but the guys who patrol the golf course don't like it much. Rules! Or perhaps they don't want the resort to be over-run by the likes of the Beverly Hillbillies. I'll have to find a grassy area and pretend there's water. Somehow I'll need to practice my fly casting before now and opening day in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.