Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's Halloween - Be Careful!

I know lots of people who LOVE Halloween. And I know just as many people who DISLIKE Halloween very much. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings or step on any toes. But on the eve of Halloween, most All Hallow's Eve, I've had these thoughts.

I used to like Halloween, when I was a kid. Loved dressing up, walking through the surrounding streets, and getting pillowcases loaded with candy. And fruit. And homemade treats, too. Homemade popcorn balls were popular. Oh yes, Mom had to inspect it all before we could eat any, but we loved the sack loads of candy we hauled home.

And then I remember a time when Mom started looking for razor blades in the apples and candy that had been tampered with. And I got older and it turned into disbelief that someone would want to hurt children with candy. But since I left that childhood of long ago, being able to walk from neighborhood to neighborhood without a care, I'm overly cautious about small children trick or treating, running in the street after dark and the unknown people, the strangers who are also out there in the dark.

As kids, my brothers and I used to feel confident venturing into areas blocks away from our own street. But then, we knew so many of the families living in those surrounding neighborhoods. We felt secure. When communities began providing organized locations for kids to visit, like the local school, church, or community center, I thought that was a great idea. A safe alternative. Thank you to the organizations that provide these fun, safe Halloween events.

The state agency I retired from used to hold Halloween costume contests, a costume parade, and pumpkin carving contests. I didn't understand it or agree with it, but the administration supported it. Even though they attempted to hold these events during lunch, they often went on for much longer than an hour lunch break. Of course co-workers dressed in full-costume was disruptive throughout the work day, not to mention what the public who encountered costumed state employees must have thought. Call me a party-pooper, but that's just not my idea of what should happen at a government agency.

For a long time I've also thought that Halloween gave bad guys a free day, an excuse, to hide behind a mask and costume and rob or hurt others. This week prime time TV has showcased crooks in costume, some even impersonating police and other law enforcement. Getting dressed for an evening costume party is one thing, but if I have to go into a grocery store or other business on Halloween day, I'm very suspicious of adults in costumes that hide their identity.

Sorry to be a party-pooper. I love seeing the small children dressed in their cute costumes. And I appreciate the homes that have been decorated with spooky decorations to make it fun for the young kids. I just see too much opportunity for the real monsters and creeps to be themselves on All Hallow's Eve. Please be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.