Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

For a long time I've thought that I should write something profound or thought provoking about September 11. The feelings we all have for September 11, since the year 2001, are personal, private or shared, but personal. The feelings are still there today; the shock, the fear, the bewilderment, the raw hurt. Just writing about it now brings back the stress and uncertainty and a little bit of a panic attack.

I remember driving to work with Rick that morning, wondering if we should go on to work or turn around and go back home. We switched radio stations, but even they couldn't figure it out. Not sure, we drove on to work. Being close to Phoenix International Airport, we noticed numerous jets flying overhead to land. Not knowing then what a task it was to bring the aircraft down safely and quickly. The day was spent glued to the radio and watching TVs that co-workers had brought into the office. I remember the feeling of helplessness. I remember thinking about the night before, spent with family, one of comfort and security. The day before had been our anniversary and it was wonderful and nostalgic. Overnight it all changed. Now today was frightening.

The following week was horrific for me as the TV played it out, over and over, 24 hours a day and yet I had to watch it. I know Rick had to be on edge, but he was there to comfort me and let me cry and talk. We hope never again to have such an attack on our country with so many innocent lives lost. I know Rick and I have not forgotten 9/11. I think we should all be reminded of the tragedy, somehow be reminded of the loss and the hurt, so we never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.