Sunday, September 7, 2008

Broken record?

It's been a few days since we've checked in. Did you wonder what we've been doing? Can you guess? If you said "FISHIN!" you'd be right.

If I said it's been a couple very good days of fishing would it sound like a broken record? Not every day is exceptional, but we've had some. The last few days are running together in my mind because we've been fishing so much. We fished one day for at least 6 hours - from before 10 to after 4. And yesterday we headed down to the river around 11 and didn't return to the moho until 6! The weather has been cool to warm and the fish have been hungry! These 'trico days' are really different from June fishing, and we're really starting to enjoy it!

Depending on the temperature, the tricos (mayfly genus tricorythodes) hatch and hit the water, and with the cool temps, it was a little later in the morning. We were happy to see our fishing friend Steve on the river when we arrived yesterday. We started looking up and down for rising fish and Steve said "come on out here, there's plenty of fish." Rick went upriver of Steve and I went downriver. Steve was like the pickle on a fishin' sandwich, me on one side and Rick on the other.

This is where I start sounding like a broken record (at least to me). The fishing was good! How many different ways can I say it?

I think (for now) we've figured out the flies and we're close to figuring out the fish. We all hooked a lot of fish which means the flies worked. But we lost a lot of fish because the flies are so small and the line is 6x (very fine). Rick and I each had a lot of hooks straightened out. It seems everyday there are always those really big rainbows that run and jump and get off the hook or break the tippet. The ones that you would really liked to have landed to see it up close.


I started with dry flies and caught fish, but then switched to very small nymphs. Caught a lot of fish with a standard set up, then took off the weight and strike indicator. I fished the nymphs as dries and caught some really great fish. Then when it felt like things had changed, put the weight and indicator back on. When the 3 of us fish together we share flies and information. Although I think I'd enjoy fishing alone, I have so much more fun when it's shared with friends.

At one point Rick teased me and said, "Hey! What is this?" and I said "It's lady's day!" And after netting one for me he said, "You're on your own." Soon I had a fish on and landed it and Rick said "At least count to ten before you get another one!" and I raised the rod tip and said "TEN!" with another fish on. I didn't count the fish Rick and Steve caught, but I think they must have caught as many as I did. As Rick & I were leaving (Steve had to cast to just one more fish), Rick said "Today was a really good day." I grinned and said "Oh, just a typical day on the river." Steve stopped fishing long enough to add, "Today was not a typical day on the river and you can put that on your blog."

Rick and I love to fish together. Teasing and congratulating each other just adds to the fun. We laugh so much! Rick was thrilled that I caught so many fish. Just like I'm always happy for him to catch lots of fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.