Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rick says, "I'm On A Mission"


I'll get right to the point! It was a very good day of fishing! As Rick's shirt says, "I'm on a mission."

The wind stayed away today and even though the river flow was up a little (at least 727 cfs), we both hooked and caught many trout. Good thing that Rick is just as fanatic about it as I am! He catches soooo many fish! Today he was hooking them right behind me and I didn't even know it! He was on a mission! This was the fish of the day. I even stopped fishing to get a few photos of it.

I'm still determined to fish for rising trout and cannot resist when I see them across the river on the far bank. I made it out to the middle, but could feel the push of the current. I played it safe, tried to stand my ground, and extended my casts. I love it when the fish are on the edge of my casting ability. It's such a challenge and such a thrill when you are using all you have to place the fly exactly where the fish is and then have that fish take the fly! Anyone who fly fishes understands, and those of you who don't understand, I wish you could experience it.

When it slows down for me with dry flies, I look at Rick who is hooking fish after fish on nymphs. I fished with nymphs for a little while, but change back to dries when I see a trout taking bugs on the surface. I cannot resist! There was a rainbow taking bugs just under the surface, way over on the far bank and I made about 4 casts until it took my fly. When it realized it was hooked it jumped out of the water 3 times and then went down and through some bushy weeds. I could feel it pull against the line, but knew it was under and through the weeds. It came out of the water one last time and came off the hook. What we call a 'long distance release'. You had to be there to know the thrill!

I do have some other things to share with you besides fishing. Check back soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rick and Mic! Sean and I just wanted to say hi! We've been missing our favorite fishing spot and you guys as well. Hope all is well with you and we'll see you this Saturday! I LOVE reading your blog! you are an awesome writer and I love your stories, photos, etc.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen & Sean! Good to hear from you & thanks for the nice comments. It's nice to know someone is reading. We've missed you on the river and asked Tim Tollett where you might be. Fishing has been good, with intermittent dry fly action. We'll see you Saturday! Mickey

    ReplyDelete

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.