Friday, August 20, 2010

Mending 101 course given by Mike Bias

How fortunate am I to have a friend like Mike Bias? I've been lucky to float with him and his daughter twice this summer and I've thoroughly enjoyed it each time. I love to see Mike on the river with his clients because I can imagine how much fun they must be having. And I love that his daughter likes to fish also. Today she even took the oars for a short distance and did a great job putting us on fish!


Mike wears many different hats - and what a hat it is! Really, he is the Executive Director of the Big Hole River Foundation, a biologist and hard working fishing guide. If you ever need a knowledgeable guide to help you catch fish, give Mike a call or send him an email. He provides helpful advice on fly casting and setting the hook = thus his website http://setsetset.com/

Rick and I have known Mike for years, since our days in Last Chance, Idaho where Mike was head guide for Hyde's Last Chance Outfitters. I remember we floated with him years ago at the Chester Backwater and he tried and tried to teach me how to mend. Mend, mend. Mend the line. He was so persistent and so patient at the same time. I've tried over the years to be a good mender so my fly drifts naturally and yet it still is a skill to be worked on.

Today I reminded him of that trip and I asked him to help me. He watched and gave me some exact pointers that should help me with floating my nymphs. I need to point my rod tip at the indicator and give it a good twitch. I'll be the one practicing my mending - cast, point, twitch. Cast, point, twitch. Cast, point... set set set!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.