Friday, June 18, 2010

Oh Deer!

While on the river last week Rick noticed a deer on the edge of the river quite a distance from us. We were just looking around, not fishing, and I had my big Nikon camera with the more powerful telephoto zoom. I saw the deer, but could really see it after I took a couple photos. It was way upriver and we watched it cross the river.


There were no fishermen in sight and the deer took it's time and meandered along.

Just a couple days ago I was fishing towards the far bank, pretty much by myself, when I caught a glimpse of movement in the bushes. I stopped fishing and watched as a small deer, possibly the same one we'd seen upriver, made her way slowly towards the river. Rick was upstream from me, but he noticed that I'd stopped fishing and I motioned to the deer. Being farther away, he could clearly see it, waved at me, and continued fishing. I didn't want to scare it by casting and I was very happy to watch it wander along the upper bank so close to me. I carry the small Olympus 1050SW waterproof camera in my chest pack just for these times.

See what I mean about being distracted? I just have to stop and watch when an eagle flies in circles over my head or when the osprey hovers above the river before diving straight down to grab a fish. We stopped and watched as the the momma otter moved her babies one-by-one from their little cave-home in the riverbank up into the grasses. Even the red-breasted robin pulling worms from the mud is wonderfully distracting. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's easy to leave us a comment. Use the drop-down arrow & you can type your name or be annonymous. (Leave us a hint) Comments are not published until after we read them & we'll only publish what's appropriate. We will reply if you leave us a comment.

Fish On!

FAVORITE PHOTOS

Florence, Oregon coastal area

Writing and photography copyright Rick & Mic GoneFishin © 2007-2010 unless otherwise indicated. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any of this material without prior written permission. All rights reserved.